The Readers' Survey Results: Plot

      Welcome to the very last article of The Readers' Survey! I'm running short on time as I attempt to finish this article punctually. It is Sunday, currently. I was going about my day and it dawned on me that Monday is the day I post... and I had nothing written. I'll have to cut this introduction (for the sake of time) short and dive right in!

Questions

Answers

My notes 

Plot



11. 

How do you prefer stories to begin? A few chapters of introducing the character? Being dropped straight into action?



I would say both! I would like to get to know the character, but, at the same time, I would like to have some action as well.
-Hannah

 There are definitely benefits to both! The beginning of a book should always hook the reader, yet if the story progresses from the first sentence without a real introduction to the character, the reader's interest will waver. 


I like stories that drop you straight into the action, it's exciting.
-Maddy K.

It definitely is! The feeling of literally being "dropped" into action will seize your reader and drag them down into the pages. But, remember, if your reader's mind can wander within the first few pages, their attention is definitely in jeopardy. 


I like a little backstory and introduction right away, and, if it is about someone's life, don't make their life super boring.
-Grace 

Yes, if the first chapter of your book is boring, then you have a serious issue. Your readers should feel pulled into the story, whether by action or connection to the character. The first few pages of your book are critical, don't spend them explaining or describing something. 


Being dropped straight into action slowly.
-Rachel


That's an interesting concept! Yet, quite an effective one. Starting your book by building up to action will keep the reader on the edge of their seat. This can be done with suspense, a conflict that first appears minor (but grows more serious), a growing realization of danger, etc. 


Conclusion


There is no "typical preference" to the beginning of a story. Even so, there are a couple things that should be included within the first few pages.

1. An introduction to the character. I'm not talking about the physical description like: 

"John had sea-blue eyes and mussed black hair"

I'm talking about their character, their hopes, and their story.

2. Some conflict or action. If your first chapter only consists of your character's day-to-day life, then it isn't likely going to captivate your reader. The conflict or action should be related to the story that follows. If your reader is hooked by something that turns out to be irrelevant to the story, then they will likely feel confused or dissatisfied.



12. 

What elements of a plot grip you most?



Definitely the climax. But since that was kinda obvious, I would also say the rising into the climax part is pretty interesting as well. I get super tense (in a good way) when I am reading the rising into action part.
-Hannah

Those parts are definitely exhilarating!  It can be hard to accomplish the things necessary to keep your readers on the edge of their seats (pacing, suspense, engaging action, twists). If you're interested in writing riveting action, here's an article that covers that.


I like the rising action the most. I love the building suspense and tension.
-Maddy K.

It seems that many people are most gripped with suspense and tension. It's important not to let your story get too bogged down with details and slow-moving scenes. Give the reader a need that will cause suspense and, thus, keep their attention. A mystery, a struggle, or an unfulfilled goal will plant a need in the reader to follow the story to the end. Uncertainties teeter-tottering on the edge of a cliff will fix their attention on your story. 


I like emotional parts in the plot, when the character finds out a new piece of information, and "action-packed" scenes.
-Grace

One of the most gripping things in fiction are those information twists. The reader was certain of one thing, then the author twists it to another. Those new pieces of information topple the reader's opinion and leave them wide-eyed. They certainly do the trick of capturing the reader.


The ending, when everything is solved.
-Rachel

That is definitely the most satisfying part of a story. If a reader never relaxes until the ending, then you know that you have achieved proper suspense throughout the novel. Be careful to tie up all the strings at the ending of your story. Otherwise, you can leave the reader confused and dissatisfied. 

Conclusion


Most readers enjoy the rising action and the climax. The suspense, the twists, and the cliffhangers all take hold of the reader and erase all sense of space and time. However, it's important to remember that a predictable story will not likely apprehend the reader's attention. Readers also love the satisfying ending when the problems are solved and the questions answered.


13. 

How often to climaxes really keep your attention? What makes a climax boring?


I would say about fifty percent of the time? I think a climax is boring if the climax wasn't built up to or if it's too short or too long, it isn't interesting enough.
-Luna

I've quit many books throughout my reading. Where do I often quit them? The climax. Strange, isn't it? Why is the climax often the point where the reader sometimes sighs and drops the book? There are many reasons why this could happen:

1. Confusing action. Action should grip the reader, not disorder them. Avoid narrating every move your character makes. The more detail there is, the more the reader's attention wanes away.

2. Nothing to wait for. Does the reader have anything waiting on the other side of the climax? Is there anything to look forward to, anything to dread, anything to find out? If not, the reader may just find that the book is not worth their time. 

3. No connection with the characters. If the reader doesn't care about the characters, then they won't care about their fate.

4. If a reader does not enjoy a book, it is often an instinct to wait until the climax. If that does not interest them, then they find the book altogether "not worth it".


Most of the books I have read with their climaxes have kept my attention. A boring climax would be one that you already knew what would happen. Like, you could already predict what could happen so it could be considered boring.
-Hannah

Readers often see the same climax time and time again. it may look something like this: 
The characters have faced many obstacles. Now, they are finally at the point where they must challenge the villain. A plan is made, one which provides hope to the characters. It fails, of course. Whether it be capture or betrayal, something will happen to ruin the plan. Things look hopeless, the villain is about to *fill in the blank*. All of the sudden, something happens to turn the tables. The main character has a stroke of genius, someone comes to the rescue, or something of that sort. They triumphantly defeat the villain and everyone lives happily ever after.

It's quite familiar. Do readers want to read the same plot time and time again? 

Nope.

Don't let your climax drift down the path of cliche.


I love climaxes too. I'll always read through a climax. The absence of a climax makes a climax boring.
-Maddy K.

Very true! A climax without climatic happenings is like summer without a summer break. If the character finds no real struggles at the climax, then it will seem to the reader as if they cheated their way to victory. 


Most of the time I don't really try and pick apart the story to find the climax and just read (: But a boring climax might be something that they already hinted at. I think a climax should shock the reader and character.
-Rachel

 Good point! There are too many of those predictable climaxes out in the fiction world. Be careful not to hint too much at the nature of the climax before it occurs.


Conclusion


There are two things that most commonly make a boring climax:

1. Predictability.

2. Lack of action or conflict.

Paste one of those on any climax and your reader's interest will be rather "anti-climatic".

Other ways to induce yawns in your readers during the climax are...

1. Confusing action.

2. A too long or too short climax.

3. A climax that was not built up to.

4. No connection with the characters.

5. Nothing on the other side of the climax for the reader to wait for.

Keep these things in mind to avoid the next time you write a climax.



     It seems I did not finish this article on time. I apologize (again, it seems) for a belated post!

     I hope that this article has given you insight regarding plot! Perhaps the next time that you wield a pen, you will have more knowledge on how to create a plot that grips your readers.


     And that is it! That is the end of The Readers' Survey. It's been a long adventure through the depths of general aspects of writing, characters, prose, and plot. I hope you've enjoyed it as much as I have, and I hope that the writers who read this series have a better understanding of what to offer to their readers. 

     A big thanks to Luna, Hannah, Maddy K., Brin, Grace, and Rachel, the readers who made this possible. Thanks, guys, for sharing your thoughts!

     Adios for now,

     ~Madelyn

Comments