Flash Fiction Contest!
It seems that Thursday has come and gone without a post on A Writer's Pen. My apologies!
I have a bit of a surprise in today's post. One that I've stored in my idea vault for quite some time and been longing to do. So without further ado... I will be hosting a flash fiction contest on this blog!
Let's get into the specifics...
To start off, I'd better define "flash fiction". Flash fiction a very short piece of fiction. It could be a story or a mere glimpse into a much bigger picture. Flash fiction is one of my favorite things to write, so I'm thrilled to be doing this contest!
How To Enter
Write a story based off of this picture:
(Fun fact: I took this photo in our fire pit with a clock key and a flower from one of our flower pots)
Send it to me by the due date (see Rules). Please include what name you would like the story to be under if you were to win. There's no need to give your first and last name if you'd rather not. You could even use a pen name! Please also include a title for your entry.
Rules
1. The entry must be between 250 and 450 words (this does not include the title and author name).
2. Your entry must be submitted by Sunday, August 16th.
3. Your entry must be clean and appropriate for all audiences.
4. Have fun!
Questions That You May Have
Can I submit more than one entry?
No, only one entry per person. However, if I find myself lacking in entries, then I might begin accepting more than one per person.
How many winners can there be?
There is one winner and one Honorable Mention.
When will the winner be announced?
There will be an announcement post on August 20th. The winner's entry will be posted the next week.
What does the winner win?
The winner will have their entry posted on A Writer's Pen! They also have the option of being interviewed on this blog as well. The Honorable Mention will have their entry mentioned in the announcement post, as well as a few lines about their entry.
Are ties possible?
They are.
Does it have to be a complete story?
No, it only must be able to stand by itself. It could even end on a cliffhanger or merely be a scene that hints at a much larger picture. This is one of my favorite things about flash fiction, you can leave the reader wanting more!
Does the entry have to be a specific genre?
Nope!
Do I have to use a specific format in my entry?
No. If you win and the entry is posted on A Writer's Pen, it will be converted to the font and format that I use on this blog (unless you specially request otherwise).
What if I submit an entry with grammar mistakes?
If the winning entry has grammar mistakes, then I will run through and fix them. Anything that isn't clear, I will consult the author on.
If you have any questions that I didn't cover here, please put them in the comments below. I'll be sure to respond to them as soon as I can!
Tips
1. Try something unique. Don't go with your first instinct.
2. Flash fiction is short, so use every word to the best of your ability. Capture the reader with a breathtaking description or heart-wrenching dialogue.
3. Try something new. Flash fiction is a great way to test a genre or idea that you've never used before!
4. Know what you plan to write before you write it.
5. Intrigue the reader by trying words you never would have thought of using in that context otherwise. (Example: "Time slowly dripped by")
I look forward to seeing what you come up with! Happy writing!
~Madelyn
Remember, feel free to put any questions that might you have in the comments below!

Comments
Post a Comment
If you comment, please sign your name :)