Caution in Reading: Part Three & Conclusion
For the earlier article in the Caution in Reading series, see the Introduction, Part One, and Part Two.
Hello, and welcome to the very last post in the Caution in Reading series! I hope that you have enjoyed our journey through this topic and that the next time you pick a book, you will pause and think about the points that I have discussed. Now, let us delve into this final point: the things that you read can affect your actions.
Just as when your thoughts that are affected by sinful fiction begin to seep into your speech, they will also influence your actions. When you dwell on the things that you read, your mood will be influenced. When these things are not uplifting, you may become cross and discouraged. Always be alert to your actions towards others, and if you are ever are confronted by another person about your attitude, heed them and take note of what you have been filling your mind with lately. Be careful to avoid books that are not God-glorifying and promote pessimism and vexation. Many modern books seem to focus on depression and selfishness, I would recommend looking into older, classical books that have stood the test of time.
I mentioned before that your speech may become rebellious when engrossing yourself in books that wrongly portray adults and encourage disobedience. Your speech is not the only thing that can be affected, however. Acting against your parents or adult authorities is not frowned upon in much fiction and that may influence you to become defiant in your actions. Always remember that your parents deserve your respect and obedience and never let yourself be influenced by what you read to act against their wishes.
Now, we’re going to come back to the issue of the dulled conscience that I have discussed in previous posts. It is extremely important to keep yourself from becoming insensitive to the wrong of sin, of acting against our Lord and Savior. If your conscience becomes this way, you may begin to act carelessly. Careless to what the Scriptures say, careless to other people’s feelings, and careless to anything but yourself. This is why the conscience is of such importance. So when you read books that depict sin glorified and without consequences, never cease to be righteously angered at it and never let yourself forget its evil. Remember also that what you do can be of influence to others, such as your family and friends. Act according to God’s glory and not mans', not your's, and be of good influence to others.
In conclusion, it is extremely important to use caution in your reading choices. The next time you go to the library or bookstore and pick up a book off the shelf, be sure to examine it thoroughly. Even after you’ve checked it out or bought it, be on guard. If anything comes up while you’re reading it that bothers your conscience, quit it. NEVER be afraid to put down a book.
Just as when your thoughts that are affected by sinful fiction begin to seep into your speech, they will also influence your actions. When you dwell on the things that you read, your mood will be influenced. When these things are not uplifting, you may become cross and discouraged. Always be alert to your actions towards others, and if you are ever are confronted by another person about your attitude, heed them and take note of what you have been filling your mind with lately. Be careful to avoid books that are not God-glorifying and promote pessimism and vexation. Many modern books seem to focus on depression and selfishness, I would recommend looking into older, classical books that have stood the test of time.
I mentioned before that your speech may become rebellious when engrossing yourself in books that wrongly portray adults and encourage disobedience. Your speech is not the only thing that can be affected, however. Acting against your parents or adult authorities is not frowned upon in much fiction and that may influence you to become defiant in your actions. Always remember that your parents deserve your respect and obedience and never let yourself be influenced by what you read to act against their wishes.
Now, we’re going to come back to the issue of the dulled conscience that I have discussed in previous posts. It is extremely important to keep yourself from becoming insensitive to the wrong of sin, of acting against our Lord and Savior. If your conscience becomes this way, you may begin to act carelessly. Careless to what the Scriptures say, careless to other people’s feelings, and careless to anything but yourself. This is why the conscience is of such importance. So when you read books that depict sin glorified and without consequences, never cease to be righteously angered at it and never let yourself forget its evil. Remember also that what you do can be of influence to others, such as your family and friends. Act according to God’s glory and not mans', not your's, and be of good influence to others.
In conclusion, it is extremely important to use caution in your reading choices. The next time you go to the library or bookstore and pick up a book off the shelf, be sure to examine it thoroughly. Even after you’ve checked it out or bought it, be on guard. If anything comes up while you’re reading it that bothers your conscience, quit it. NEVER be afraid to put down a book.
Thank you for joining me in the Caution in Reading series. I sincerely hope this will challenge you to reconsider your standards of acceptable fiction. If you have any questions on this topic, please post them in the comments. Good day!
~Madelyn
Nice article. I do have to say most books have different emotions and I don't believe that's wrong if a character in a book struggles with selfishness or depression or something like that as long as their character grows from that and they don't stay like that for the entire book. If a character doesn't have a flaw, then they're not a very well written character. I agree though that sometimes it's a bit much, especially if it's not done well. For example, if a character struggling with depression is written by an author not familiar with that, it can come out frustrating and make you upset and annoyed with that character. And those traits are things people in real life struggle with. We all have sins that we combat day after day and so it's not unrealistic or wrong for characters
ReplyDeleteI have had struggles with reading books that aren't God glorifying to the point where now I really only read books that are either by authors that I trust or recommended by people that I trust. Every once in a while if I see a book at the library that looks interesting, I'll first look it up on a Christian website and see if there's anything seriously wrong with the book.
I really loved this series, wonderful job! Though we disagree on a few minor points, I really think this is a wonderful series and you did an excellent job with it.
Hello, Luna!
DeleteI appreciate your feedback! Let me see if I can make what I meant a bit clearer, I realize now that I may not have clarified a few things.
Yes, characters need flaws and there needs to be conflict in the story. The character(s) can struggle with depressing problems, but if that is a main aspect of the book, then there should be a result of hope and/or truth.
I think what my point is, is that there will be conflict and such in a story. But if that is the overall mood and essence of the story, it can really really affect your mood. Some worldly authors will not end with a message of truth and that can be dangerous to the reader's mind. We are to glorify God in all we do, and if books are causing you to sin by darkening you mood and your thoughts, you should put it down.
There are authors that can use hurting characters to impart truth and hope (Example: Andrew Peterson and his books The Wingfeather Saga). Readers should use discernment to separate those stories from the ones that leave you in a darker mood.
I hope that clarifies what I meant ;) Thank you for your honesty and feedback.
I'm glad you enjoyed the series and I hope that you've taken something away from it!
That makes a lot more sense, thanks for clarifying! Yes I do agree if it ends not ending with the person turning away or at least trying to change their sinful nature, then it can be a problem
DeleteThanks for replying. Yes, I did, thanks! The series was amazing
No problem, I'm glad to have cleared it up! Thank you so much :)
DeleteYou're welcome! Wonderful article!
Delete