Surrendering Freedom

    Welcome back! Today, I'll be sharing with you another piece of flash fiction. 

    Allow me to present...

Surrendering Freedom


    Crazy? Perhaps I was.
    Only time could tell. Dawn seemed hesitant to come that fateful morning, and the world remained in the
sorrowful dark as I awaited my doom.
    It had not been my choice.
    They had forced me to it.
    A lonesome road was my waiting place and a deer sign my only company. The tears of the sky had long since surrendered themselves to the wind and now pitter-patted on my umbrella like the footsteps of a kitten.
    Footsteps.
    I shook myself. My mind had wandered further than I thought, for I could have sworn that I heard…
    Footsteps. There they were again. I tore my gaze from the road to look upon the intruder of my silent despair.
    A deer. Nothing less. He was a good six yards off, warily taking in his surroundings. I detached my attention from him and returned to my gloom.
    I was on the verge of a journey, one that required all the courage that I could muster from my weary heart. But how could I? My heart was not in it. Nor could it ever be.
    I awaited only destruction. And destruction--wait. Hold on.
    The deer simply had stepped under the protection of the umbrella. Perhaps he saw an opportunity to escape from the damp or merely pausing to check for oncoming traffic before crossing (a practice all but abandoned by others of his kind). Whatever it was, he clearly did not see me as a present danger.
    I held quite still. What else could I do? I feared the slightest movement would break the moment and send the creature flying like a shaft from a bow. Any company was better than none in my last hour before captivity.
    The rain had intensified to a downpour, and the beating of it upon my umbrella was now the beating of war drums.
    Drum-ba-drum-drum-ta-drum-um-drum
    “The hour draws near,” I whispered to my stoic companion.
    Drum-a-bur-um-ta-drum-dur-um-ba-drum
    “All memories of joy will fade.”
    Ta-drum-da-drum-a-drip-bur-um-drum
    “Even now,”
    Drum-a-ta-drum
    “I feel it leaving me.”
    And then it came.
    At first, I thought I saw a glimmer of light far down the road. Blurred by mist, it could have been nothing at all. But a second later, it was back. Growing nearer.
    Nearer.
    In the space of a second, my companion had fled.
    The light became two. Round, and unblinking.
    My ride had come.
    The rumors, it appeared, had not been false. It was all that I had been told that it would be. Large, mustard yellow, and filled with others who shared my demise.
    I drew in the last breath that I would take in freedom.
    First grade was not for the faint of heart.




    I really enjoyed playing around with an air of mystery in this piece. It was entertaining to keep the reader in the dark until the final twist at the very end! I hope that you enjoyed reading it as much as I enjoyed writing it!

    Good day to you all,
    ~Madelyn

    
    Let me know in the comments below whether you would like to see more stories like this one!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Words

3... 2... 1... Liftoff!

Flash Fiction Contest!