Saved

Saved


 From:

A carnal child of desire

Blind to the glaring light

On a dark path that ends in fire

And blackness worse than night

Stubbornly hated what I needed most

I could not, I would not surrender

I wanted salvation that I could boast

To live as a “righteous” pretender

And yet deep within my dying soul

There lived an ugly fear

That my future, I could not control

And when Christ would appear

And I would not be among His chosen

And I’d be left behind

In this terror, night after night, frozen

Burning painfully in my mind

And try as hard as I might,

I couldn’t seem to find a way

To buy my passage to the light

And be sure I’d go with Him that day

Thinking that I could save my soul

I didn’t realize that I was incapable

That I was broken, not whole

By myself, the fire was inescapable

That I cherished the condemning sin

And rightly deserved His wrath

Because I had no light within

I walked the wide, destructive path

Bent on avoiding my rightful due

I forgot the beauty of grace

In my heart, I blurred the wrong with the true

And my only Hope, I would not face

Somehow I expected

My future I could, myself, engrave

And somehow I neglected

To fall at the feet of He who could save




By:


In the garden of Gethsemane

Before He was taken

Before He was hung on that tree

We see the greatest love unshaken

He was troubled and distressed

And sweating drops of blood

In agony, He poured out a request

To be spared this great flood

Of the wrath of God divine

Even so, yet He prayed

“Your will be done, not Mine.”

And in doing so, displayed

Perfect obedience and love

Though He knew the wrath

That He would face from above

He would still walk the painful path

He would save for His possession

Those who cursed God on high

Willingly lost in transgression

For them, He would die


~

I sang “Amazing Grace”

Before I understood the song

I heard that He took my guilty place

But didn’t believe I was in the wrong

For though I knew I failed sometimes

It never seemed so bad afterword

I didn’t see them as filthy crimes

Against a just and perfect Lord

All that wandering was before

I knew I needed God above

For one day his love meant more

Than I could ever dream of

Now that I know this amazing grace

This gospel shines so brightly

I know that Christ took my place

A gift I won’t take lightly

And now my hope is firmly set

And my cause for joy prevails

And though I may at times forget

God’s promise never fails

I was given perfect grace

And I was completely saved

I was washed of my disgrace

And my future was engraved


Justified―through faith alone

By His grace and to His glory

He paid for crimes that weren’t His own

Revealed the wonderous story

The law brought my sins to light

But the law could never save

Only blood could wash me white 

The blood that Jesus gave



For:


Sanctified― only by His power

Never could be by my might

Every moment and each hour

Living in His grace, His light

In the midst of refining fire

Learning to fully depend

On a King who is greater, higher

And will bring this work to its end



Glorified―when I shall see His face

God with us and we with Him

The fulfillment of amazing grace

In light of Christ, all else goes dim

To this future, we hold fast

Run with the hope we cannot see

For when we’re finally home at last

We’ll rest in victory


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Words

3... 2... 1... Liftoff!

Flash Fiction Contest!